One Tree Planted - We Heart You
Did you know?
That Australia has the 7th largest forest area in the world? This makes up 3% of the Earth’s total forests!
Wind it back.
To Christmas time 2019 when we should have been enjoying a classic Aussie summer consisting of beachside BBQs, balmy nights, late afternoon swims, family getaways and gatherings.
Instead, it was the summer that broke our hearts - or as many now refer to it the ‘Black Summer.’
The summer that dealt us the following horrifying stats:
- 33 people lost their lives
- 3,094 houses destroyed
- Over 17 million hectares of land burnt across almost every Australian state, including World Heritage and Australian World Heritage listed areas
- Over one billion mammals, birds and reptiles based on NSW and VIC alone are estimated to have been lost - this excludes insects where the estimated number is hundreds of billions.
Aside from all the animals that perished in the bushfires, those that survived lost their homes, their places to hide and feed causing many more animals to lose their lives post the immediate devastation of the fires.
With our commitment to using our business as a force for good, we thought (and researched) long and hard for where the best use of our support would be and what was closest to our hearts.
We landed on the following approach to support across both land and sea:
- Replace plastic mailers by providing an eco-friendly, sustainable and 100% compostable solution (more info in blog here);
Remove rubbish and other waste from our Oceans by donating a percentage of sales to the Seabin Project via our 1% For The Planet membership (more info here); and
- Replenish the habitat of Australia’s wildlife by planting a tree for every pack of mailers sold with help from our partners at One Tree Planted.
One Tree Planted - We Heart You.
One Tree Planted is a non-profit environmental charity that makes it simple for anyone to help the environment by planting trees! One dollar, One Tree.
- They clean the air we breathe,
- Filter the water we drink,
- Provide habitat to over 80% of the world’s animals, plants and organisms,
- Provide jobs to over 1.6 billion people,
- Absorb harmful carbon from the atmosphere, and
- Are key ingredients in 25% of all medicines!
How are we helping the bushfire affected areas in Oz?
Our donations - that are possible because of the amazing businesses that buy our packaging - are directly helping to recover forests affected by the 2019-20 Black Summer Bushfires and restore native habitat vital for the survival of wildlife.
Each donation is focused on mobilising support for replanting efforts, developing nurseries and planting millions of trees with an army of volunteers and professional crews.
Slowly but steadily, we are re-building that which was lost. While at times it is easy to get bogged down in the hopelessness of a situation it is always important to come back to a solution. To find a way to help.
Businesses that use their platform as a way to do good, to better society and to make positive changes are always the type of business we aspire to be and to support! We hope you too, are with us #changemaker.
If you want to know more about the amazing One Tree Planted organisation, please visit their website: https://onetreeplanted.org/pages/about-us#how
Parliament of Australia: 2019-20 Australian Bushfires - frequently asked questions: a quick guide: https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/rp1920/Quick_Guides/AustralianBushfires
One Tree Planted: https://onetreeplanted.org/products/australia